A message from the Executive Director
Dear Preserve Louisiana members, volunteers, and constituents:
Can it really be since 1963 that Preserve Louisiana Board of Directors, staff, and volunteers have been working with fervor to protect, preserve, and promote what is important to all of us-Louisiana’s historical heritage, architecture, and culture? I am honored to be in the company of such dedicated friends and colleagues. Now, we move into the next iteration of our invaluable organization as Preserve Louisiana, the new "doing business as" name for The Foundation for Historical Louisiana. After much discussion (years of discussion!), focus groups, brand studies, mission consideration, and surveying of our colleagues around the country with similar missions, we are more than pleased with the adoption of this new name.
Preserve Louisiana's mission has not changed, we hope to only strengthen our mission as we move forward, to promote the preservation of the cultural and architectural heritage of Louisiana through education, advocacy and stewardship.
Each year, we must turn to you for critical, sustaining support. Your donation of $100, $500, $1,000 or $5,000 can make all the difference and is fully tax-deductible. Please help make these accomplishments continue with your contribution. Preserve Louisiana’s current activities include:
- Advocating and supporting the historic preservation tax credit legislation--an economic development tool;
- Monthly Heritage Lectures, quarterly Lagniappe Lectures and Preservation Salons;
- Our annual Preservation Awards - celebrating preservation accomplishments of our friends and organizations around the State;
- Key meetings and convenings of our partners in preservation across the state including The Louisiana Trust for Historic Preservation, The Preservation Resource Center in New Orleans and our state SHPO office;
- Official partners with Washington, DC based National Trust for Historic Preservation and Preservation Action;
- Offering cultural and architectural preservation curriculum to K- 12 thanks to a grant from the Lamar Family Foundation
- Rotating exhibitions focused on our rich history, preservation wins and losses, and the cultural talents of our state;
- Engaging members in preservation through our cultural and architectural tours, Preserve Louisiana Tours;
- Continuing our efforts to remain great stewards of our home, The Old Governor's Mansion
You are a key member of this dynamic preservation family through your donations and your belief in our mission. At this time, we sincerely hope that you will consider a generous year-end contribution. Historic preservation lays the ground work for community revitalization.
Membership dues and our many fundraising endeavors at the Mansion are not enough to support all of the work Preserve Louisiana has before it. Our organization is not funded by a federal, state, or city budget line. Every year we must raise our annual operations budget. In this uncertain economic time, Preserve Louisiana counts on your support - now more than ever. Preserve Louisiana is a 501(c)3, not-for-profit organization. Thank you so much for your help.
All the best,
Fairleigh Cook Jackson